[Sca-cooks] "Rosita's Day of the Dead"

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Oct 8 06:45:20 PDT 2004

Ok, so I decided to break out of my SCA rut, and go volunteer for
Touchstone theater, a place I was a frequent volunteer at before I
joined the SCA and misplaced my life. :)

Turned out when I called them, they had an open shift for a 'cafe
assistant' (sell drinks and sweets at intermission) the very next night
for their opening show of the season, "Rosita's Day of the Dead". There
was a reception afterward for which a volunteer had donated Spanish
food...

Now, this is a sequel to a play I haven't seen ("Dona Rosita's Jalapeno
Kitchen"). It was done as a one-woman show, by Ruby Nelda Perez, from San
Antonio. We meet Rosita in her little restaurant, where she is
frantically working on the orders for next day's Dio de los Muertos.
While she bustles around preparing tamales, she tells us about her family
and friends, and especially the strange experiences she's been having
that are appearances of her dead mother, urging her to travel back to
Sonora to see her long estranged father before he, too dies... :)

Sounds morbid? More like sitting in your grandmother's kitchen, or your
aunt's, or your local Pelican's, catching up on gossip... Why Lucy, loco
that she is, still feels bad about the death of her first husband,
Nacho... what happened with Rosita's grandaughter Marisabel... what
really happened the night someone was stabbed with a steak knife...

Apparently the play was originally done in San Fransisco as an ensemble
piece but with Ms. Perez playing each character in turn it was amazingly
funny.

Ok, so that's the play. But there was the reception... ohhh! Yum! I
helped the volunteer get her stuff set up. There was an orange cake, some
kind of 'Heavenly Bacon' tart-- almonds, egg yolk, flour, sugar; there
was a sort of green bean or maybe pepper pie; tapas; some amazing little
meatballs; a dried garlic toast; marinated mushrooms with ham or
proscuitto... She said she got it all out of the Williams Sonoma Spanish
cookbook. It was amazing. We ate like pigs! (Ok, it's a small theatre,
maybe 100 seats but probably not that many-- the lady had provided 2 of
each pie and 3 of each tart... oooh...)

Anyway, it turns out that the theatre is doing an adaptation of Don
Quixote next summer and I said I would be happy to donate some of my
Spanish food (the stuff I worked up for my feast...) and if they are
interested I may be asking others in our area if they want to pitch in.
:)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I have always maintained that librarians are the ultimate
share-your-toys people, and that the worst punishment you could inflict
on any of us is to offer to show us an incredibly useful free resource
but only if we swear not to tell another living soul about it."
-- Marylaine Block