[Sca-cooks] Re: Coxcombs

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 22 14:21:26 PDT 2004

Stefan responded to another post:
>I think I remember us discussing coxcombs here before. Somehow though,
>I don't think this dish would go over well at an SCA feast unless maybe
>the Royalty ate it. Do we have any adventuresome Royalty? :-)

Were they actually _eaten_?  I've seen them used as decorations on 17th
century plates but didn't get the impression that they were actually
ingested.

Alys Katharine

Here's a modern recipe from D'Agostino's in NYC, which calls for livers, crests, wattles, and unlaid eggs, as well as some chicken breast:

http://www.dagnyc.com/RecipeShow.cfm?recipe_id=19382

It also cites the Caterina legend.

Every other recipe I have found online has been in Italian, and almost all refer to the Caterina legend. Makes me want to confirm if that is the case, that she loved cibreo and nearly ate herself to death on it, and what was in the Renaissance version.

Gianotta