[Sca-cooks] Definition of French Culinary term

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 24 08:47:13 PDT 2004

Hi all,
	Been reading through my Escoffier and La Repertoire (yeah, just light
weekend cook's reading stuff :)  and trying to figure out the definition of
a term I find there.  I can't seem to pin it down using either of those
book's glossaries, or many on-line sites I've checked.
	The term is Relevés. It is used in this context:

	"Relevés and Entrées of Meats" (Escoffier)
	and
	"Entrées, Relevés, Rotis; Relevés and Entrées of Butchers' Meats" (La Rep)

My French/English Dictionary defines the word thusly:

relève - relief; change (of the guard)

rele-vé-vée adj - lofty, elevated; turned up; graded (curve); spicy; m.
check list; tuck (in dress); (culin) next course; faire le relevé de - to
survey; to check off

	So, I am confused here.  Anyone have an opinion of what this might be?
Could this be an example of an actual Remove?!!??

	Thank you, food geeks everywhere.
	:)
	Christianna