[Sca-cooks] broths and cakes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 31 21:59:43 PST 2004

  Aoghann asked:
> For an upcoming event, I will be making 16 gallons of a beef soup with
> kasha. I was thinking about 1lb of beef (before cooking) per gallon of
> soup. Will that be enough?
Several folks may have answered your question adequately, but perhaps
this file in the FOOD section might have some more on techniques and
such which might be helpful to you:
broths-msg        (72K)  2/17/03    Broths in period recipes.
Substitutions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/broths-msg.html
> (p.s. still looking for a recipe I like for the cakes...)
Are you specifically looking for recipes for honey-spice cakes? Or are
you looking for period cake recipes in general? There are numerous
files on cakes and pastries in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the
Florilegium such as:
Digby-Cakes-art   (12K)  6/30/01    "Excellent Small Cakes Revisited"
                                        by Tirloch of Tallaght.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Digby-Cakes-art.html
pastries-msg     (117K)  7/16/02    Medieval pastries. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/pastries-msg.html
Rosquillas-msg    (15K)  6/20/01    Spanish pastry of biscotti-like
rings.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Rosquillas-msg.html
shortbread-msg    (32K)  1/12/01    Period shortbread. Recipes and
directions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/shortbread-msg.html

Stefan
--------