[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks) onion soup...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Oct 1 20:15:43 PDT 2004

Also sprach BeckysQuilt at aol.com:
>hi,
>I would like to use bread bowls for service. I was thinking of your standard
>French onion but I am open for suggestions. Period would be nice but my
>priorities are presentation and something people will really eat. Us
>Ansteorrians
>are hungry people. Oh, and I will have an industrial kitchen to work in.
>I have done smaller feasts before and helped in many larger ones but this is
>my first bid for a big event. Last weekend, my team and I placed 2nd in
>Elfseas' Iron Siege cook-off, done Iron chef style. It was such a
>hoot and so much
>fun that we decided to shoot for the stars. Bids are due at business
>meeting so
>I have a lot of paper work to do before then. Thank you for answering my plea
>for help.

Okay, let's start with the (or rather, a, as in, one of many) period recipes.

PORREY CHAPELEYN [MS D, ff. 86r-96v, ~c. 1381 C.E.]
"For to make a porrey chapeleyn, tak an hundred onyons o(th)er an
half, & tak oyle de olyf & boyle togedere in a pot; & tak almond mylk
& boyle it & do (th)ereto. Tak & make a (th)ynne paast of dow, & make
(th)ereof as it were ryngis. Tak & frye hem in oyle de olyue or in
wyte grees & boil al togedere."

"For to make a porrey chapeleyn, take a hundred onions or a half, and
take olive oil and boyle together in a pot, and take almond milk and
boil it and add thereto [to the onions]. Take and make a thin paste
of dough, and make rings out of it. Take them and fry them in olive
oil or lard, [add to the soup], and boil all together."

For eight servings (in the East we usually do tables of eight, and
the number is pretty easy to multiply out to whatever number you
need), you'd need:

Three large onions, sliced
1 ounce olive oil
1.5 quarts thick, blended almond milk (made from 1.5 cups blanched
almonds and about 7 cups water)
salt to taste (it'll be bland without it)
pepper (optional)

Oil for frying

1 cup flour and enough water, eggs, a combination, or almond milk to
make a stiff pasta-type dough
OR ~1/4 package wonton wrappers, cut into rings with concentric biscuit cutters

Slice the onions and wilt them in the olive oil, without browning too
much, over a low heat. At the same time, heat the almond milk to a
boil and simmer until slightly thickened, stirring regularly. Pour
over the onions and simmer until the onion slices are extremely soft
and the soup is slightly thickened.

While the soup simmers (or you can do this part in advance), make,
roll, and cut out your dough (or wonton wrappers, or other stiff,
thinly-rolled, premade dough), and fry them in hot oil at about
325-350 degrees. Drain and reserve; add them to the simmering soup
before serving. An additional garnish of sliced chives or scallions
looks nice...

You can then take the same basic quantities for this soup and make a
similar, modern, Irish white onion soup.

IRISH ONION SOUP (adapted from a recipe in one of Malachi McCormick's books)

3 large white onions, sliced
2 oz butter
2 Tbs flour
3/4 pint milk
2 pints white chicken stock
salt and pepper
2 egg yolks (optional)

Melt the butter over low heat and sweat the onion slices until they
wilt and begin to soften (again, you don't want them to brown). Stir
in the flour and cook for a few more minutes, stirring frequently,
then stir in the stock and the milk. Whisk or stir until the flour is
incorporated into the liquid, and simmer until the soup is slightly
thickened, and the onions are very soft. Season with salt and pepper
(fanatics can use white pepper) and finish, if you want, by putting
the two egg yolks in a bowl, beating them, adding some of the soup to
the yolks and mixing completely, then returning them to the pot, off
the heat. Heat gently until the soup thickens slightly further. Do
not boil after the yolks have been added.

For French onion soup, you'd take those same three large onions,
slice them, and saute them to caramelize. I find it helps to deglaze
the pan with a little splash of water, wine, or stock every so often
to keep the juices from browning too fast. The stock would normally
be brown beef or veal stock, or a mixture. The soup usually isn't
thickened, except with onion juices. Ideally, you'd make round
croutons, such as a round of French bread, fried or toasted, then top
with grated Parmigiano or Gruyere cheese, which you then melt in a
hot oven or under a broiler. Float the toasts over the soup before
serving. Cheaters just float a piece of toast, add the cheese, and
broil the whole thing in an oven-proof crock. (NB: chopped fresh
thyme is a terrific addition to this soup.)

HTH,

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04