[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks) onion soup...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 1 22:02:08 PDT 2004

You didn't upset me.  Had I been irritated, I would have replied privately
and in considerably more detail.

The problem that I have with the idea people will not eat period food is
that it is erroneous and an excuse.  There are dishes many might not find
palatable, but there are also a large number of recipes that delight the
masses.  Count Gunthar, Liadan and I have all prepared feasts from period
sources that delighted the attendees.  We have demonstrated that it can be
done, therefore, the idea that people will not eat period food is erroneous.
The opinion is widely held, so it becomes an excuse for bad cooking.  "We
tried to do a period feast, but everyone knows that period food is brown
slop and no one will eat it."  Bad cooking is bad cooking and not even the
most exquisite modern recipes in the world will save a badly cooked feast.

My personal belief is a feast should be a total experience adding to the
reality of the event and I to that purpose try to control the food, the
service and the entertainment.  These days, I like working with a specific
region or theme suited to the needs of the event.  I may not completely
succeed with the next Protectorate, my entertainment is unavailable.

Next, I believe that the food should be properly prepared and plentiful.
I'd rather see a non-period or perioid feast done well, that a period feast
done poorly.  The people at the feast are paying clientele and they deserve
to receive full value for their money.  Period is a plus only if properly
prepared.  Any feast should have a balance of dishes, so that everyone
(within reason) can get enough to eat.  I also like to balance complimentary
colors and tastes (just a personal flaw).

You have the background and experience to do well with feasts and the step
to period cooking is similar to preparing a modern ethnic cuisine that you
have never tried before.  If you want to ease into period cooking at feasts,
select a few recipes to try and add one or two to your menu each time.  Or
you could be a crazy like me and plan a few feasts from period sources to
stick in the file in case someone wants something special.  The translations
of period sources now available make the transition from perioid to period
much easier than it was ten to twenty years ago.

I'll be happy to post the recipes once I get them keyed in.  I haven't tried
making them, so I don't have any portions for the ingredients, but that
shouldn't be much of a problem for you..

Bear

> hello Bear,
> I'm sorry My opinion disturbed you. I too have over 20 years in Ansteorra
and
> have had more than my share of very bad feasts. I am competent of my
cooking
> skills for large groups. My first experience was with HL Elaine
DeClairemont