[Sca-cooks] Re: tureen was Serving Soups

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Oct 3 14:24:37 PDT 2004

The word in English according to OED is 18th century.
1706 Phillips (ed. Kersey),
Comes from Terrine (Fr.), an Earthen Pan
a. Fr. terrine a large circular flat-bottomed earthenware dish,
as a milk-pan, in OFr. therine (1412 in Godef. Compl.), so actually
the French may have had them earlier.

The food served in one is also a tureen --
Hence tu'reener, a dish of various meats, etc. baked in a closed pot or
tureen; a hot pot
1728 E. Smith Compl. Housewife 101 To make a Tureiner. Take a China Pot
or Bowl,
and fill it [with]..Beef steaks..Veal steaks..Forc'd meat..Chickens,
Pigeons,..
Rabbets..; Season..every Thing as you put it in..:
Then put in a quart of Gravy,..and cover it close with a Lid of
Puff-paste...
Eight hours will bake it.

Hope this helps,

Johnnae llyn Lewis