[Sca-cooks] where do I buy an indulgence for SCA-Cooks

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Mon Oct 4 21:48:32 PDT 2004

Huette von Ahrens <ahrenshav at yahoo.com> [2004.10.04] wrote:
> While smoked meats are period, there is a big
> difference between meat that has been smoked
> and jerky, which is meat that has been dried,
> whether smoked or not, and which has no
> documentation as being Western European period.
> AFAIK jerky is a New World concept and Europeans
> didn't dry meat until they saw North American
> Indians doing so.

One the I-have-no-real-idea-but department I do know that present day
Sami does dry reindeer meat (non-smoked, just hang it up to dry in the
cold and wind). It may be the case of a technique used for a millenia or
two, or it might be a recent invention.

And it is good stuff too.

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Movie The Wizard of Oz: Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl
kills the first woman she meets, then teams up with three complete strangers
to kill again.