[Sca-cooks] Real bacon

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Tue Oct 5 12:36:50 PDT 2004

At 07:09 PM 10/5/04, Master Adamantius wrote:
>I'd suspect that the
>really industrial/commercial stuff has more sugar in the cure, which,
>when combined with the added water, leads to a greater amount of
>sticky, burny juices in the bottom of your pan, the kind of thing
>that can make it tough to fry eggs in the same pan ;-).

Well, I can throw into the mix the experience of a friend of mine (i.e. a
fellow South African) who spent 6 months in the US and returned frothing in
frustration because, according to her, all American bacon is
_sweet_.  South African bacon, you may gather from this, is not sweet at
all, but salty and tangy, often smoked.  I don't know where UK bacon fits
into the whole thing, but I suspect we may follow that tradition rather
than the US one.

(Oh, and she also wanted to know what's with the USA and the total lack of
custard.  As in pre-made custard for having with apple pie.  We can buy it
by the carton here - sweet and slightly plastic and not a patch on the real
thing, but with its own obnoxious charm.  Did San Francisco simply have a
dearth when she was living there, or are Americans simply not
custard-conscious??)

yrs in comparative culinary anthropology,
JdH

Baroness Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) * Drachenwald Chronicler
Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town, South Africa
melisant at iafrica.com ***  http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
There is only one rule in the SCA: "Thou shalt not be tacky". All the rest
is commentary. (Barak Raz, Silverwing's Laws 1).