[Sca-cooks] Leeds 2005 Food History Symposium, Etc.

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 16:22:55 PDT 2004

Approximately how much would it cost to go
to this Symposium?  I mean totally, symposium +
air fare + hotels + meals + transportation, etc.
I know that your air fare will be different from
mine, but I need a ball park figure to see how
feasible it would be and how much I would need to
save to do so.  And whether I could afford to
hire someone to care for my mom while I was gone.
It probably is a pipe dream for me, but I do
so want to go to one of these and I do so love
to travel ...

Huette

--- Elise Fleming <alysk at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Greetings!  The next Leeds Food History
> Symposium will be on Saturday,
> April 16, in York, England.  The topic is
> tentatively on baking.  Ivan Day
> is apparently coordinating the Symposium in
> 2005 and 2006.  The 2006 topic
> hasn't been decided but discussions are going
> around about molds and things
> made with molds.
>
> Ivan Day has a lovely website, in case you have
> not seen it
> (www.historicfood.com).  There are lovely
> pictures and some recipes,
> although the site isn't finished.  In my
> opinion, this is the type of
> authenticity we should aspire to.  He offers
> classes in historic cookery
> and the pictures of the baked goods might give
> some idea of at least one of
> the sessions for next year's Symposium.
>
>  I've "bitten the bullet" and signed up for the
> May 2005 course on
> sugarwork and confectionery and hope to attend
> the Symposium the month
> before, which "forces" me to stay in England
> for 5 weeks.  Hampton Court
> will probably be doing Stuart or later
> (Georgian??) cookery for 2005, but
> one of the historic cooks (he's not historic,
> he cooks historically!) said
> they should be back on Tudor cookery in 2006.
>
> Alys Katharine
> Elise Fleming
> alysk at ix.netcom.com

=====