[Sca-cooks] Re: Pie toppings (getting OOP)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Oct 6 11:00:24 PDT 2004

> On Oct 6, 2004, at 1:01 PM, Ruth Frey wrote:
>
> >      And if you're talking hot apple pie, there's always the option of
> > topping the thing with a slice of good, sharp cheddar cheese (let the
> > pie melt the cheese and then enjoy).  That seems to be something of an
> > American-ism; I know a Canadian friend of mine who heard about the
> > practice was both shocked and appalled, and couldn't imagine whoever
> > first thought of such a thing . . .
>
> There's plenty of us Americans who were similarly shocked and appalled.
>   I think it's more of a yankee/PA dutch thing than an American-ism.
>
> - Doc

I have a reference (IIRC, it's a verse, specifically) that talks about
apple pie with cheese that's 19th or possibly even 18th century--but the
source is at my dad's place, 8 hours south of here.

Ha! Google is your friend. "Apple Pie and Cheese", by Eugene Field (d.
1895) http://www.mgilleland.com/effood.htm

I happen to like apple pie with sharp cheddar cheese.

Margaret