[Sca-cooks] Rose hips (was Re: Pears in cream?)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 7 02:25:10 PDT 2004

Roses produce hips year round.  All you need
is a fertilized flower.  However, keeping hips
on the bush keeps the bush from producing more
roses.  It is a toss up.  Do you want rose hips
or do you want flowers?

However, you shouldn't prune your roses until
January or February.  That is the time that they
are their most dorment.

Huette, whose uncle was a world renowned rose
hybridist.

--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> My mother's rosebushes are all hippy right
> about now.  They are getting
> redder... I need to snag them before she wises
> up and prunes them all
> for the winter.
>
> Selene
>
> awench1 at cox.net wrote:
>
> >I would love to know what you do with fresh
> rose hips.  When is the proper time to pick
> them, etc.
> >
> >I've eaten the flesh of dried rosehips.  It is
> very much like eating fruit leather.
> >
> >Felicia
> >
> >>From: Daniel Myers
> <edouard at medievalcookery.com>
> >>Date: 2004/10/06 Wed PM 03:53:54 EDT
> >>To: Cooks within the SCA
> <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
> >>Subject: [Sca-cooks] Rose hips (was Re: Pears
> in cream?)

> pulling out my lingonberry
> tomorrow.
> >>>
> >>Speaking of rose hips, I bought some dried
> ones at Pennsic (just
> >>because they were there) and now I'm
> wondering what to do with them.
> >>If they were fresh I'd make a tart, but 'tis
> not the case.
> >>
> >>Any ideas?  Can I soak them in wine or water
> or somesuch and use them
> >>as I would fresh rose hips?
> >>
> >>- Doc

=====