[Sca-cooks] Wheelchairs- OT- was Cooks Symposium Dec 4

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Oct 8 13:07:12 PDT 2004

> Now this is ridiculous. We have two very serious Cooks, who have a lot to
> offer to any event, not just a cooking symposium, and they can't go because
> the site's not wheelchair accessible. What can we do, to encourage
> Accessibilty for everyone.

First, start by NOT getting angry. Actually, start by finding someone
calm-- unlike you and me, Phlip...-- and talking to them. There are
accomodations that can be made, if there is a site issue, under some
circumstances. One of my SCA bosses (yes I'm now the webminister for the
EK Disability Porter) points out that accessibility isn't a black/white
question, it's a spectrum. Sometimes sites that are wheelchair
accessible aren't bad knee accessible, and vice versa, and then you get
into the question of people whose accessibility needs may not relate to
mobility.

The best thing to do is to work together with the people running the
event, to see what accomodations can be made. I'm not speaking for the
Disability Porter, of course, because she's a wonderful person whose
demeanor is NOT at all like mine. But she's fermenting some ideas about
suggestions to make, I know.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I have always maintained that librarians are the ultimate
share-your-toys people, and that the worst punishment you could inflict
on any of us is to offer to show us an incredibly useful free resource
but only if we swear not to tell another living soul about it."
-- Marylaine Block