[Sca-cooks] Wheelchairs- OT- was Cooks Symposium Dec 4

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Oct 8 14:21:36 PDT 2004

I certainly didn't expect anyone to be angry about this for me.  I'm not.

It is a good thing if events can get an accessible site, and I will
write and say how disappointed I am  to miss the event.  But if it is
an issue of using an inaccessible building, or using one that is more
expensive, or unsuitable in other ways .. or not having the event...
then it is better to have an inaccessible event.

I think that NEW church buildings fall under the Act, but nothing in
the Act makes them change older buildings.  Our own church went
through this a few years ago, and built an addition that among other
things includes an elevator. Building the addition made them subject
to the Act for the whole building. Making an older building
accessible can be EXPENSIVE, and if renting the building would force
them to make the building accessible, we would loose the site, and
they would simply not rent it.

My sympathies to your husband.  I have arthritis and CAN stand up and
walk for short distances.. (but not trying to carry the chair up and
down stairs all day).  Being in a wheelchair all of the time is much
much worse than being in one most of the time.

Ranvaig