[Sca-cooks] Regarding the Size of Rissoles

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 12 23:34:22 PDT 2004

Margaret/Emma commented:
> sorry to drag out inter-kingdom terminology again, but I had difficulty
> with this thread at first, not realising that a 'rissole' might be
> something in pastry.
I'm not sure there is much, if any, interkingdom terminology involved
here. *I* am not quite sure what defines a "rissole" and what doesn't.
I think the only place I've heard the term used was on this list. How
does it differ from a dumpling or a pastry or a ravioli or even a
cuskynole? I thought it was just a medieval food term. I'm not sure
that we have talked about them here very much. I've got several
messages I saved back in 1999 or so and then the recent couple. But I'm
not quite sure where they would fit in the Florilegium, so I've not
published the messages yet.

> So if US 'rissoles' are wrapped in pastry, what
> would you call an Australian rissole: basically a large
> meatball/roundish hamburger patty fried in a pan or grilled (I think
> you'd say 'broiled')?
Do the Australians use the term "rissole"?
> And what is an egg roll?
A fried pastry usually about 2 inches by one inch by 4 inches filled
with shredded vegetables and often some kind of meat. Similar to a
spring roll, if you are familiar with those, but fried and using a
different dough.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas