[Sca-cooks] Evil Science Projects: Good News/Bad News

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Oct 13 05:51:00 PDT 2004

Also sprach Laura C. Minnick:
>At 05:23 AM 10/13/2004, you wrote:
>>  >
>>>  I'm posting this now so that, if I post an update in the morning,
>>>  you'll all know I lived through the night ;-)
>>>
>>>  Adamantius
>>
>>Dude,
>>
>>Don't do it!!!  The last time I thought to myself 'I'll risk it - it'll
>>be fine' was some pickled lotus root I added to a thai curry.  I threw
>>up so hard that I hemorrhaged in my eyes, I coughed up pick foamy sputum
>>(from hemorrhages in my throat), had petechiae all over my face and I
>>found out later that I cracked a rib...
>>
>>It's not worth it...
>>
>>Drakey.
>
>Oh gawd... leave it Drakey to have some suitable gross story, just
>to start my day off right. ;-D) At least no body parts were sawed
>off in the process, eh?

I was gonna say something like, Well, Drakey, arter all, this _IS_
Drakey we're speaking of. But he's perfectly right. I can only assume
that I was extremely lucky, or that there's something about the
respective pickling processes that made the results different. But
then, I'm also a firm believer in stacking the deck against
misfortune, and in so doing, making your own luck. The seal on the
jar was good, not eaten by the various acids, the solids, mostly,
were cut up fairly small for better penetration of the pickle, and
there was no rush of gas from the jar, no sliminess, and no weird
smells. Botulism seemed virtually impossible, due to the pH. I felt a
reasonable justification for a certain degree of confidence. I
wouldn't recommend anyone else do this (and stay outta convection
ovens, while you're all at it!).

Of course, there's the time when I had to visit the chiropractor,
who, upon hearing that I had thrown my back out as a result of
projectile egestion after accidentally ramming my uvula with my
toothbrush, laughed so hard he hurt his own back...

Adamantius
--
"As long as but a hundred of us remain  alive, never will we on any
conditions be brought under English rule.  It is in truth not for

Holt, 07/29/04