[Sca-cooks] period sandwich?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Oct 14 00:16:08 PDT 2004

Margaret replied to me with:
> How about this was never served as a formal meal but just as a snack as
> one ran out the door. Hardly worth the attention of one's high priced
> chef,
> let alone being commented on by the local scribe?
But we do have other simple dishes which do show up in recipe
collections. And if common it should show up in literary references or
other works.

We have recipes of toasting cheese on top of bread. Why nothing similar
which then puts another piece of bread on top? Do we have any evidence
of dry/moist meat served on top of trenchers? Or is it always covered
in sauce? No, the trencher wouldn't be considered edible by the high
class folks. But putting the sliced meat on top of a slice of bread is
halfway to a sandwich. It would seem to be an obvious step to add
another slice of bread. Particularly when all you had to eat with was a
knife and a spoon. Making a sandwich makes it easier to eat and your
fingers stay cleaner. We know that that the latter was often considered
important.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas