[Sca-cooks] Drakey's Disasters- was Evil Science Projects etc

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 17:50:14 PDT 2004

I was smithing at an event in ACG up in Aethelmearc years ago, and I had never
smithed in garb before, something I should have worked out before hand, long
before hand.

It was a brisk day and I was wearing a wool tunic and some trous, but mundane
footwear.  I was making impements that could be used in the nearby kitchen
demo that THL Ras was running, or at least trying to as my fire and the wind
would permit.

I also had some scrap rods there for people to try it themselves with
supervision,  of course.

I was showing this young lady how to make a fork (not a medieval implement,
but a colonial one) and I had heated and twisted the rods together and had them
re-heating in the forge before starting the hammer work on it.   I
reached down with the tongs and as I looked at the metal and picked up
the hammer, the lady said:

"uhm, sir, your shirt is smoking"

Near as I can figure I must have brushed aonother peice that I had
added to the fire
as I turned, with the sleeve of my tunic.

I looked at her,  looked at my sleeve, said "interesting"
crushed out the smoke with my gloved hand and went back to work on the fork.

The autocrat came over a little later after reports that "Cadoc was on
fire....again"
reached her from the neighboring exhibits.

:-)  I'm just glad it was a wool tunic - it had the presence of mind
to smoulder.

Cadoc
(who misses being able to do smith work since he now lives in the city)