[Sca-cooks] A question about knives

Brett McNamara brettmc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 19:15:00 PDT 2004

> And, just to clarify things, the santoku knife is _not_ a vegetable knife,
> any more than a chef knife is.  According to Kershaw Shun...

Indeed, the one being called veggie knife is not one I'd bother
owning.  I simply don't have the skill at making garnishes to warrant
it.

This intrigues me, though: "...any more than a chef knife is..."
Aside from paring methods, I really don't know anything better in a
French style (i.e. European fundamental ) than a chef's knife.  I
wouldn't think of using anything else to dice or French an onion, for
example.  The santoku can used a similar fashion and thus my
confusion.

But now I'm curious, what would you consider a vegetable knife in a
Western kitchen?