[Sca-cooks] Herby things

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Oct 21 08:31:44 PDT 2004

See
http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/szechuan.html

It reads in part---

the Sichuan peppercorn is a member, because they could carry a canker
that destroys citrus trees. The ban was not strictly enforced before a
revision of the department's manual for field inspectors specified that
the ban applied to Sichuan peppercorns (Zanthoxylum simulans) and the
Sansho peppercorns (Zanthoxylum piperitum) used in Japanese cooking.

The canker is caused by bacteria that are harmless to humans but
possibly contagious among members of the citrus family. It is spread by
physical contact. There is no known chemical treatment for the disease,
and both infected trees and those nearby must be destroyed.

"Citrus canker poses a significant threat to not only citrus in Florida,
but citrus in California, Texas and Arizona as well," she said in the
statement. "Therefore an across-the-board ban on citrus from specific
countries known to have the disease is the cornerstone of our efforts to
protect U.S. agriculture."

In early 2004, the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service approved a
treatment to kill the canker by heating the peppercorns to 140 degrees.
But that changes their quality and character. No other treatment,
including irradiation, kills the canker.

Hope this helps

Johnnae llyn Lewis