[Sca-cooks] Bless the Amish!

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 16:57:32 PDT 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 01:40:06 -0500, Stefan li Rous
<stefanlirous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Gianotta mentioned:
> > I finally got a chance to go to the Amish market that opened up in my
> > town last year. Their butcher shop is amazing; and I found out that I
> > can special order all of the parts I need to make cibreo! I may even be
> > able to get the eggs! Woohoo!
> Okay, what is "cibreo"? And what "parts" are in it?

Cibreo
chee-BREH-oh

A Tuscan stew of chicken giblets, very popular in nineteenth century
cooking. According to Pellegrino Artusi's 1891 recipe, the giblets are
stewed in broth with butter, salt and pepper, then topped with a sauce
of egg yolk cooked with lemon juice, flour and broth. The origin of
the name cibreo is unclear, but over the years it has come to mean
mixture or combination

> And "the" eggs? I assume by this you are talking about something other
> than chicken eggs?

Having grown up on them, jumbo brown eggs :-)  probably anyway.

And fresh too.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson