[Sca-cooks] Definition of French Culinary term

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 24 09:35:34 PDT 2004

Somewhere I have a couple of other [older] books on gastronomy,
predating Escoffier, things like Curnonsky, Ali-Bab, Alexandre Dumas,
and, of course, Brillat-Savarin. Let me see if I can find anything
that clarifies "relevés": Escoffier is already into the age of
Russian Service (i.e. the serving of filled plates to each diner), so
things will have started to change by that time.

Adamantius

Thank you for looking further.  I believe I will simplify the two different
Entree categories anyway, but want to make sure I am not leaving out
something important or obvious (I think I've already determined that this
term is neither).

I am interested to see you define Russian Service this way.  (Having just
covered this section in class, I happen to have it to hand), the definition
I have from the "Manual for Culinarians" published by the American Culinary
Federation says for Russian Service:
"The food is fully prepared and carved in the kitchen, dresson on platters,
and then served, letting the guest serve himself from the platter held by
the waiter at his left."

What you describe is considered American or Restaurant service in this
source.
In this section on service styles we also covered Airline Meals, Banquet,
Buffet, Cafeteria, Classic Cuisine, Club Dining, Dietetic Cooking, French,
Home Cooking, Hotel Dining, Mass Feeding, and Vending Food.  Anybody wanna
take the quiz?  :o
Fun for culinarians...
Christianna