[Sca-cooks] Definition of French Culinary term

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 24 15:00:32 PDT 2004

--- kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:
> So, I still think I'm confused, but I think Escoffier just told me not to
> worry about it, so I won't. :)
> Christianna

According to this reference, the Releves were, usually, large pieces of cooked meats which took
the place of a portion of the other dishes, once the diner had been given time to eat their fill
(I would imagine).  The other dishes were 'relieved' by the large roasts.  Similar to today's
restaurant habit of removing the salad, and replacing it with the entree.  In this case, the
entree would act as the releve.

The main distinction, I believe, is that the Releve is generally a large piece of meat, whilst the
Entree is smaller.  For example, a New York steak might be an Entree, but a Steamship Round of
Beef would serve to qualify as a Releve, even if it were served in the same order within the meal
as te smaller steak.

That's my take on it.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.