[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Oven temperature question

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Oct 28 16:21:55 PDT 2004

> The few pictures I have seen of medieval 'communal ovens' all appeared to be constant temperature
> ovens, with the fire burning at the rear/sides of the oven, much like our modern pizza ovens.  Of
> course, these were all paintings from post-period, and could very well have been artist
> interpretations.

Hm... I've seen post-period instances where you have a small fire in the
oven stack below the oven, but you actually heat the oven by putting
coals in it, then cleaning out the coals.

However, there are also chafing dishes from period which seem to
have been built as
long benches of cooking surface with niches underneath for fire/coals...

-- Jadwiga, trying not to fuss about her dayboard for saturday.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sybil: "Have you been upsetting people?"
Vimes: "I think I may let people upset themselves."
Sybil: "Good for you. You do that so well." -- Terry Pratchett