[Sca-cooks] grains of paradise

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 31 16:25:00 PST 2004

--- R J <chaingangorg at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Another place I see them at is brew suppliers. They
> arent always there, but most have them, intended as a
> flavoring adjunct. Period beers are getting trendy in
> mundania =)
>
>  Normally, I use them ground on a simple roast chook.

'Roast Chook', eh?  Sounds very Australian to me.

I have had no luck finding a local source for GoP, even following a clue that they might be
available at the local 'World Market'.... I did find a very good source for Long Pepper, Nigella,
Bulgur (finally!!!) and Cubebs at the local "All India Sweets and Spices", though.  Picked all of
those up this afternoon, along with a hefty bag of Cumin seed, Fennel seed, Coriander seed and
something called 'Coarse Salt' (which, as it turns out, is identical to the 'Gray Salt' those
foodites in more cosmopolitan cities are paying $15 a pound for.. except this 1 lb bottle only
cost me $2.49)

'Epicentre' on the web does list GoP in their inventory, but they appear to be out of stock at the
moment.  And, in reference to an earlier thread, they also carry Sichuan peppers....but can't
export them to the U.S.

I had not considered checking with a brew supply house (we now have 2 in Bakersfield) for Grains
of Paradise.  Thanks for the tip.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.