[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 16, Issue 6

Martha Oser osermart at msu.edu
Fri Sep 3 13:22:48 PDT 2004

> Odd food note, he still refuses to eat canned fruit cocktail.  It seems that
> for a time during the period when they were surrounded by "Chinese
> volunteers", cut off and vitually given up for dead by everyone but
> themselves, that was all he had to eat... a whole case of fruit cocktail.
> That and tootsie rolls kept him alive.  Did you know that if you chew a
> tootsie roll and then press it as a lump into a bullet hole in a jeep
> radiator it will carmelize and plug the hole?    The company that makes
> tootsie rolls still sends boxes of them to his Chosen Reservoir veterans
> group reunions.   Tootsie rolls, the real "life saver" candy.

According the Mythbusters (a show on the Discovery Channel), you can also
crack a raw egg into a leaky radiator and the egg will cook and plug the
hole.  I've seen it work.  Now, you'll still need to replace your radiator,
but at least you'll be able to get somewhere to do it.  Let this be a lesson
to you - carry a raw egg with you on road trips just in case you get a hole
in your radiator!

 -Helena