[Sca-cooks] Ham, Cold cuts, and Charcuterie

Patrick Levesque pleves1 at po-box.mcgill.ca
Wed Sep 8 16:47:41 PDT 2004

First, thanks to everyone for the many replies on the different topics
(ribs, frogs, whatever) I've enquired about lately!

Now, in a Rabelaisian-inspired fit of culinary madness, I've a sudden desire
to explore the making of different kinds of cold cuts (dry-cured hams,
sausages, pâtés and other stuff for which I don't know the English
equivalent word... Rillettes, Andouilles, etc...)

While I have recipes (period or otherwise) for a bunch of sausages and
terrines, I'm still looking for instruction on how to make, say, dry-cured,
or smoked ham from scratch.

As well, 'Rillettes' comes up as a kind of cold cut in period; however, it
seems to designate a slightly different thing than what we call 'rillettes'
nowadays (according to the Centre d'Information sur la Charcuterie, it is
found in period as early as 1480. However, it would designate a larger pork
tidbit, not the slow-cooked mash we're more familiar with).

Suggestions, anyone?

Petru