[Sca-cooks] Bread in the Shape of Body Parts

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 19 12:38:42 PDT 2004

Someone was asking about phallic bread. I know
nothing about it, but i was looking at the Petits
Propos Culinaires webpages and found the book
review below which might be of some use (if you
see some funny stuff, it's accented vowels - see
below review for it without). I assume the book
is in French, but it may have some English... i
dunno...

Anahita

----- From PPC Volume 66 -----

Christine Armengaud: Le Diable Sucré: Gâteaux,
Cannibalisme, Mort et Fécondité: Éditions de La
Martinière, Paris, 2000: ISBN 2-7324-2498-6: 167
pp., index, colour photos, p/b, FF150.

This is a giant album, the photographs overwhelm.
It is a record of an exhibition at the Parc de la
Villette in Paris over the winter of 2000-2001.
Under one roof were gathered hundreds of figures
and emblems: all made from bread, brioche or
other dough. There is a sprightly, allusive
commentary, so sprightly indeed that I had to
work quite hard at decoding it. And there are
recipes at the end. One of my favourite trinkets
on our kitchen wall is a three-breasted biscuit
figurine from southern Italy. Here I can read at
last everything I need to know about St Agatha
and breads in the shape of bits and pieces of the
human body.

-----  End Review -----

Title without accents: Le Diable Sucre [accent
aigu over final e]: Gateaux [circumflex over
first a], Cannibalisme, Mort et Fécondité [accent
aigu over both e's]: Editions [accent aigu over
initial e] de La Martiniere [accent grave over
penultimate e]