[Sca-cooks] Almond Milk

Martha Oser osermart at msu.edu
Mon Sep 20 11:41:45 PDT 2004

Greetings all,

I'm starting some newbie work on a couple of recipes and one of the things I
want to try involves making almond milk.  So I've been doing my reading and
I've found that starting with a pound of almonds will eventually yield about
2 gallons of almond milk.  I assume this means a pound of unshelled,
blanched almonds, correct?  What if I were to start with pre-ground almond
meal, which can be had at the bulk food store?  Is this doable and how much
should I expect to start with?

Also, when boiling down the almond milk into almond cream (to strain into
the almond custard/cheese), about how much does one end with.  If I were to
start with, say, 2 cups of almond milk, how much cream/cheese would I end up
with?

Thanks all!

 -Helena