[Sca-cooks] Re: OT- da Dook

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Tue Sep 21 07:20:54 PDT 2004

here's my "da Dook" story...

a Loooong time ago when I was a new fighter, doing rather well locally, and I happened to be the first fighter at an event (Blessing of the Mead), and in a moment of sheer hubris promptly armored up and declared, loudly, that I had possession of "the field".
What I did not notice is that another fighter had quietly unloaded his rather non-descript armor and was dressing on the sidelines while I did this...

I heard the following from behind me:
"hey! I'll take sum o' dat action!"
He popped his helm on, looked at me and picked up a shield and his sword. He looked at me again, considering and put it back down, and picked up a huge heavy great sword.

Ranging himself in front of me, he asked "so? you reddy?"
"Yup!" I said, raising my shield and taking what I believed to be a good stance.

Clang!
I turned around looking to see who hit me, because I swear I did not see my opponent's sword move an inch.

My opponent said, "Aw gees, I gues you wasnt reddy, less try it again, tell me when yur reddy, kay?"

I took a moment to compose myself, determined to block the move and avenge my self with a crushing blow, and said, "ready".

My opponent said, "you shur?"

"Yup!" I said.

Clang!

THIS time, due to my superior frame of mind and steely concentration I was just able to see the sword as it came back to his guard, after soundly whacking me.

I bowed to the inevitable, bowed to my opponent, and walked off the field. as I walked of the field, another fighter nodded to me and said, "Hiz Grace took it easy on ya, fella, He used to be faster off the draw".

A sound and valuable lesson given on the necessity for humility, and the empty hubris of mere mortals, as was then so often given out by Duke Siegfried.

Capt Elias

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
wood, divide the work, and give orders.  Instead, teach them
to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
  - Antoine de Saint Exupery