[Sca-cooks] OT- question about cutting silk/slick synthetics.

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 29 22:39:59 PDT 2004

I got this message earlier today. I know this is off-topic for this
list, but I know that several of you are seamstresses. Please feel free
to pass this onto any SCA sewing list. Please remember that this lady
is not on this list, so email her directly at: wheintz at comcast.net or
copy her on any message sent to a list.

> Dear Stefan li Rous,
>
> I read your posts on the Florilegium archive and perhaps one of your
> members in the silk textile area could offer some advice.  I am
> involved in making flags for a high school marching band guard unit.
> The flags are made of china silk and the pieces are cut out--chewed
> out--in such a way that no two pieces of the same section are
> identical.  It is a nightmare for me, as I would like each flag to
> come out the same way everytime and stay together once sewn.
>
> Is there a way to accurately cut the pattern pieces?  Is there a way
> to accurately cut the pieces in bulk--i.e., several identical pieces
> at a time?  Would basting the gross layers to a piece of muslin and
> then cutting everything at once work?  I would appreciate hearing your
> members' suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
> Kathy Heintz

In a second message, giving permission to post her messages, she added:
> The fabric is slippery.  The call it china silk,
> but after doing some further investigating today I found out it is not
> silk
> at all but a synthetic.  It melts when burned and won't rip.  A friend
> mentioned that she was surprised they would use silk b/c it spots when
> rained on and the band does perform in the rain.  The same principles,
> however,  would apply in cutting any slippery fabric.

I had suggested one of the roller cutters, which I've seen in fabric
stores, but I've never used one myself, so I don't know how well they
work. Has anyone tried a hot knife on this? I think there are
electrically heated ones. Wouldn't this have the additional advantage
of melting the edge of a synthetic and keep it from fraying?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas