[Sca-cooks] jaggery?

Craig Jones drakey at webone.com.au
Thu Sep 2 19:06:21 PDT 2004

> > 1 cucumber, peeled, quartered and cut in quarter inch slices
> > 1 clove garlic, smashed
> > 1/4 c wine vinegar
> > 2 T water
> > 2 T. jaggery or sugar
> > Mix together and let marinate for an hour or more.
> Okay, but what is "jaggery"?

Jaggery is dark, unprocessed sugar derived from various palms or from
sugar cane... It's usually derived from Palm Sugar and I suspect that
this is what this recipe is looking for.

Usually the palm sugar is concentrated into heavy, moist, dark brown
chunk although there are variations in moisture and color.  It quite
often comes in hard, sticky lumps. If it does, be careful if you shave
some off with a knife (don't ask me how I know this)...

There's not really a substitute but it's easy to find in Asian grocery
stores....

Drakey

Ps. 122 'doing a drakey' free days and counting...

Pps. For those pedants, Jaggery is derived from quite a few palm species
including Caryota urens, Borassus flabellifer, Cocos nucifera, Phoenix
sylvestris, and Arenga saccharifera (1996, Solomon, Encyclopedia of
Asian Food)