[Sca-cooks] was Libum recipe now whole wheat bread

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 3 13:13:46 PDT 2004

Also sprach Samrah:
>Thanks for the recipe Ardenia!  It got me thinking...  I bake a lot
>of yeast bread.  If it is whole wheat, usually half whole wheat,
>half bread flour.  I tried my recipe with all whole wheat flour, but
>as you can expect, it needs more leavening.  I had a cousin suggest
>a teaspoon of baking powder.  It was OK, but does anybody have a
>recipe for bread with 100% whole wheat flour with just more yeast
>perhaps?

My own experience has been that most of the whole wheat flour you're
going to encounter has (naturally enough) a lot of bran in it, and
the bran interferes with gluten extension (sort of). Essentially
introducing a lot of little flakes with semi-sharp edges into a mass
of strands cuts a lot of them.

If you're dedicated to using 100% whole-wheat flour, you might try
adding extra gluten (Arrowhead Mills sells this, and, I assume, the
King Arthur flour people), or you might find some whole-wheat
chappatti flour in an Indian market, which is fine whole-wheat flour
ground from hard durum wheat: the milling process is powerful enough
to reduce the size of the bran particles, and the hard wheat has a
lot of protein and produces a little more gluten than some other
whole wheat flours. Bread made from chappatti flour (not to mention
chappattis) have something of the texture of semolina bread. Maybe
not cloud-light, but lighter than most whole-wheat breads.

Adamantius
Holt, 07/29/04