[Sca-cooks] Is this nigella?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Sep 7 06:55:11 PDT 2004

> Perhaps someone could describe what nigella seeds look like and I can
> verify this from that? The web photo I found was inconclusive. I may
> just have to take this to a local Cook's Guild meeting and see if
> someone there knows what these are.

Hmm. there's a picture on Gernot Katzer's spice pages
(http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/)

They are dark black, smaller than fennel or anise. The distinctive part
is that they are sort of sharp cornered. Not as sharp as, say, cardamom,
but definitely triangulate as one of the sources says. If you can find
armenian string cheese where you are, compare the seeds in it to what
you've got.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If you have no faith in yourself, then have faith in the things
you call truth.  You know what must be done.  You may not have courage
or trust or understanding or the will to do it, but you know what must
be done.  You can't turn back.  There is no answer behind you.  You
fear what you cannot name.  So look at it and find a name for it.
Turn your face forward and learn.  Do what must be done." - McKillip