[Sca-cooks] Re: Raw Eggs and Bagpipes

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Sep 7 23:16:00 PDT 2004

At 10:45 PM 9/7/2004, you wrote:
>  Cadoc MacDaire commented:
>>I had the honor as having
>>the winner of my household's annual Pennsic piper's competition be my
>>alarm clock for my last day at war, ...
>>   It was a good way to wake up, hangover or not.
>Hmmmm. How close to your tent was he?
>
>Thirty feet or three hundred is one thing. Three, though...
>
>Stefan
>(Thirty feet though is still within crossbow range...)

But not nearly far enough!

There was of course the time when I was still seeing Sir Paul, and a piper
who was 'piping the Princess awake' at some ungodly hour (either 7 or 8 but
bless god it's been long enough ago that I'm no longer certain), standing
about 6 feet from our pavilion and about that from our heads.

The man almost died for it. We were blasted out of bed, and I only barely
caught Paul's ankle in time. Imagine, playing away, and having the last
thing you ever saw be an enraged knight, buck nekkid, bearing down on you
with a sword. Specifically, an ENGLISH knight.

As it was it was only my threats of serious and very personal injury that
kept him from firing a bolt through the pavilion wall, point-blank. This
conversation of course was carried on at some volume, as the pipes were
still playing. My ears are still ringing.

An egg in the chanter's too good fer 'em, I say.

'Lainie