[Sca-cooks] Finally back.

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 8 02:35:05 PDT 2004

--- Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi y'all.
>
> A couple of weeks ago lightning struck close to
> our house and blew out
> our cable modem, router and one of the PC's NIC
> card. It's been a while
> but we finally have everything pretty much in
> working condition.

Isn't that what a surge protector is for?
Although perhaps the voltage of lightning is
too much for the standard surge protector.

Many years ago, I was in a building that was
struck by lightning.  It was very interesting.
My desk faced a large picture window and I
looked up to see a bolt of lightning going
horizonally across it.  The building was the
nine story Milliken Library of Caltech and I
was on the second floor.  The main bolt hit
the top floor and knocked off a five hundred
pound block of granite.  The bolt not only
broke it off from the building but also broke
the block into two pieces.  One piece fell
straight down and into the reflection pool
on the east side of the building.  The other
piece was found about a quarter of a mile
away to the east of the building.  It was
fortunate that no one or nothing was hurt
by the flying granite.  I guess the building
had a lightning rod as none of the computers
or any of the electrical items were affected
by the strike.  In fact, the library probably
wouldn't have been aware of the strike except
that some students who were walking by saw
the whole thing and came in to tell us what
had happened.  It took several men who waded
into the pool to bring out the first half.
When the students discovered that it was only
half of the block, they went in search of
the other half, finding is lying in the street
that bordered the campus, about one quarter
mile away.  It occupied the students for some
time trying to figure out the amount of volts
needed to accomplish the deed and what angle
the lightning hit the building, etc.

I am glad that you were not hurt by the lightning
and I am sorry that your computer was affected.
I am glad that you are back!

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.