[Sca-cooks] Subtleties Mailing List?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 9 00:02:27 PDT 2004

Faerisa asked:
> I've recently ha someone in my local group suggest I start up a
> subtleties / illusion foods Yahoo-group (in addition to the webpage I
> plan to eventually create).  Is there enough interest out there for
> such
> an endeavor, or would it be essentially duplicating the informaton from
> more general cooking e-lists?
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?
Well, I have real mixed feelings about this. But my situation may be a
bit unique.

I'm concerned that starting a new list like this, will fragment the
food information further. Most of the soteltie info or at least a
goodly amount of it would move to this list from this list, and
possibly others. This means that the info doesn't show up on this list
which cuts back on the traffic here. Which is probably good. But to see
it, I would then have to handle two, possibly high traffic, lists.

Once upon a time, in a galaxy... er, back in the late eighties and
early nineties, almost all SCA electronic traffic was carried on the
SCA-Heralds and the rec.org.sca newsgroups. Much of the info in the
Florilegium on a wide range of subjects came from those lists. It was a
place to see and be exposed to, a large variety of SCA and medieval
subjects. Then mail lists started becoming popular and instead of one
place to see stuff, you had to subscribe to hundreds of mail lists.
Which is likely impossible for any one person, especially someone with
separate a full-time job.

I've always wanted a cadre of folks on these lists who would send
interesting, useful messages, articles or message threads for the
Florilegium, but it has never happened other than for a few dedicated
folks from time to time.

Anyway, I can see yet another list as continuing this fragmentation and
I mourn the useful, interesting info which appears, is seen by only a
limited audience, and then is gone. If one or more people would be
interested in acting as Florilegium volunteers to sift this list then
that would be nice. I might even join it myself, but there are also
several other lists I would like to be on and don't seem to find the
time for.

Like I said, probably a unique viewpoint.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com