[Sca-cooks] Ham, Cold cuts, and Charcuterie

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Sep 9 05:57:12 PDT 2004

Also sprach Patrick Levesque:
>Now, in a Rabelaisian-inspired fit of culinary madness, I've a sudden desire
>to explore the making of different kinds of cold cuts (dry-cured hams,
>sausages, pâtés and other stuff for which I don't know the English
>equivalent word... Rillettes, Andouilles, etc...)

Look for a copy of Jane Grigson's "The Art of Making Sausages, Pates,
And Other Charcuterie". It's about as comprehensive as a book on
French charcuterie written by an Englishwoman can get ;-).

>While I have recipes (period or otherwise) for a bunch of sausages and
>terrines, I'm still looking for instruction on how to make, say, dry-cured,
>or smoked ham from scratch.

Cato, Apicius, Columella (I think) and Le Menagier (although that
last may be for bacon) contain period instructions for same. I doubt
the process changed a lot between the Roman and medieval sources,
since it hasn't changed much between the Roman and modern methods.
But perhaps I'm making an unwarranted assumption. ;-)

>As well, 'Rillettes' comes up as a kind of cold cut in period; however, it
>seems to designate a slightly different thing than what we call 'rillettes'
>nowadays (according to the Centre d'Information sur la Charcuterie,

Would that be kinda like The Education Council for the American Pork
Packers Association? I ask only because trade associations aren't
always too great in their grasp of history, and you sometimes run
across things like date-century equivocation ('the 1500's is the 15th
century, right??? No? What-evuh... what's the difference?")

>  it is
>found in period as early as 1480. However, it would designate a larger pork
>tidbit, not the slow-cooked mash we're more familiar with).
>
>Suggestions, anyone?

CAVEAT: I AM WORKING ENTIRELY FROM A RATHER FALLIBLE MEMORY!!!

We need a manuscript geek (possibly from the Midrealm? ;-)  ) to
verify this, but I have a vague memory of hearing somewhere, being
told, or having a note slipped under my door at midnight, about
rillettes in period France. Possibly in Le Menagier, the English
translation of which I have on hand (Powers -- but don't, in fact,
which is why I'm working from memory) makes references to cracklings.

My theory/impression, based, again, on incomplete memories of having
read this years ago, is that rillettes, as well as the general
concept of potting things in fat, are probably either very late or
post-period. However, I think perhaps le Menagier in the original
French may hold a clue, in its pig processing section, and I would
not be at all surprised if Powers has translated as cracklings
something very much like rillons, which are rillettes' big brother.

For those watching out there in Television Land and playing the home
version of our game, rillettes are a semi-cured, fatty pork
(something like salt pork belly), cooked slowly until the fat is
pretty well rendered and the meat semi-disintegrated. The meat is
then strained out of the fat, mashed into a pot with a smallish
amount of fat, maybe 40% of the total, then sealed under an
additional thin layer of fat. This preserves it for quite a while, in
a manner similar to methods used to confit duck or goose, but unlike
confits du canard or d'oie, rillettes are eaten cold, generally, as a
pate, canape topping, etc. Meat (i.e. pork) in larger chunks, not
mashed, but otherwise treated similarly, are called rillons.

I think perhaps what might have been done in period France, at least,
is that rillons were made in this way, but strained from the fat to
be eaten separately. Maybe more like Latino chicharrones than like
modern rillons or rillettes.

Maybe someone with more time (at the moment) and access to the
appropriate sources can verify, debunk, or otherwise add to our
information.

Adamantius
Holt, 07/29/04