[Sca-cooks] stewing chickens?

R J chaingangorg at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 07:26:56 PDT 2004

I look for an "old hen" if I can, there are a few
"kill to order" places here.
 If I cant get to one of them, I look for a bird with
pinfeathers and/or some hair, this implies a tough old
bird with flavor and attitude.
 You can get them pretty much anyplace ethnic and
carnivorous, such as Amish, Asian, Jamaican or Kosher
shops.
 As for Empire, the old ones are only available
frozen, wrapped in opaque plastic. Results are highly
variable.

 The substitute we use is 1 pack leg quarters ( about
3 lbs ) and one pack backs and necks, with gizzards if
we can get them. ( about 2 lbs odd bits, total )

 If you want the "kosher feel", dont forget to add a
handful of fresh dill =)

 Enjoy,

 AEsa/RJ