[Sca-cooks] A new job

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 14 14:23:18 PDT 2004

Well, I finally have a job. I pretty much fought tooth and nail to avoid
it but I couldn't sit idly by anymore.

I got a job in a restaurant, like all my friends have been telling me to
do. It's at a little French Bakery/Bistro called "La Madeline" which is a
pretty groovy place all told.

The pay sucks, the hours are horrible and the work is hard. Today was
my first day and I'm beat. I haven't worked in a restaurant in over 20
years. But I had fun. I believe I'm going to wind up as a cook but they
are training me in all the departments. Today I worked the line with
drinks, making salads, taking some orders, and generally helping out.
I'm so used to being the guy in charge that it's weird to not know
where anything goes or how much to put on a plate.

I burned my hands, spilled tea, ran out of strawberries, and pretty much
did all the newbie mistakes but it was still enjoyable.

When I interviewed they wanted me to apply for management but I
want to learn the business from the ground up and then later apply
for management. Right now I'm just enjoying myself and trying to
get out of debt.

Thanks for everyone who supported me in my dark times. Things are
still dark and money is very tight. But I'm getting there.

Yers,

Gunthar
New La Madeline Associate