[Sca-cooks] 5th Taste?

Brett McNamara brettmc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 08:37:02 PDT 2004

Traditional Japanese food has lot of "subtle" flavors, which is
another way of saying bland.  They also like many oddly bitter things,
like fish guts and rotten cabbage.

The one element that seems to be highly prized is fattiness.  You're
not really going to pick up on the fatty flavor of good Toro, the
fattiest part of the tuna, unless you eat it raw.  With a basic diet
of fish and rice even small variations in taste and mouth feel would
be far more apparent.

I suspect that Umami might be a much rounder flavor than higher acid
would suggest.