[Sca-cooks] Off Topic: Bleach replacement?

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Wed Sep 15 12:10:35 PDT 2004

Carol Eskesen Smith <brekkefranksdottir at hotmail.com> [2004.09.15] wrote:
>     My daughter needs to know, and I don't have the answer:  is there a
> replacement for bleach which will not eat the liner of her washing machine?
> New baby Logan needs white diapers...

Why does the diapers need to be white? Ours came as plain unbleashed
cotton, and now look like very well washed unbleashed cotton. Almost all
stains go away with one wash (not always with the wool diaper pants, no
surpise).

We've been using cloth diapers for a couple of years now, and only a few
incidents of rash, mostly attributable to things like the wee tyke
eating nice, hot Indian food, or unripe red currants.  We wash at 60 C
with regular detergent, and most of the time use a rice-paper sheet
between her and the diaper (makes clean-up much easier, you can toss
them in the loo and flush, they dissolve the way TP does).

Culture difference? Since neither the baby, the changing table nor her
parents are sterile (in any sense of the word), why bother sterilizing
the diapers to hell and back? Clean yes, naturally.

Easiest clean-up was when we tried sphagnum moss, the original disposable
diaper.

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
It is company policy to discriminate against all employees equally.