[Sca-cooks] national talk like a pirate day

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Fri Sep 17 08:51:20 PDT 2004

>the pirates in our barony are some of the most ingenious
>and hardworking people around.   hooray for pirates.

I dont doubt that.

AND I have no problem with Pirates as a persona concept, at all.
Heaven knows that Pirates are period.
But this whole "Pirate speak" isn't even historical, it is a creation of Hollywood!

Like a lot of the "Piratey" things you see --Including the Skulls and crossedbones on everything from flags to hats to mugs, the Long John Silver argot is a product of theatrical convention, not of history.

I, for one, who would love to see some serious and accurate SCA-Period Pirate portrayal, as opposed to the "Joke-Personae" so prevalent.

Unfortunately I have mostly seen way too many "pirate" personae that are based on a Hollywood fantasy interpretation, on an "Age of Piracy" (1670-1800) historical character, or (usually) a Hollywoodized treatment of an "Age of Piracy" historical character.

It's exactly like basing a Celtic persona on Asterix the Gaul,
and as accurate.

Why is one OK for the SCA and not the other?

Capt Elias

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
wood, divide the work, and give orders.  Instead, teach them
to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
  - Antoine de Saint Exupery