[Sca-cooks] About Cassie

Sandy mensik ladyelfseeker at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 19 01:39:27 PDT 2004

I'm now figuring out how to break the news to the husband.He thought he had a good find.lol.
 Cassie

David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:
Cassie writes:

> My husband wants to try the artichoke recipie for feast out of the
>Fabulous Feasts by Madelaieine Pelner Cosman ........but i have
>recently been warned off that book.Is there a good recipie for
>artichokes?

Interesting question.

Part of the difficulty in answering it is the problem of
distinguishing artichokes from cardoons--two very similar plants, of
which different parts are eaten. I have some 13th c. Andalusian
cardoon recipes. I've seen various assertions that artichokes were
known by about the 14th or 15th c., but I don't think I have come
across any recipes and I don't know what the evidence for the dating
and identification is. Something of the sort existed in antiquity,
but it may have been the cardoon.

_Fabulous Feasts_ is often offered by SCA cooks as an example of an
unreliable source--not only does the author not give, or cite, the
originals of the recipes, she is supposed to have admitted to
inventing at least one of them. A good general rule is not to trust
any secondary source that doesn't include the original, since if you
haven't seen the original recipe you have no way of knowing how close
the version in the secondary source is.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com

Remember,Cats are little women in fur coats..