[Sca-cooks] Re: OT- KIlts at war

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 20 06:49:14 PDT 2004

Laura C. Minnick wrote:

>> Considering the lengths the British or I guess more precisely, the
>> English, went to to suppress the kilt, I seriously doubt the short
>> variant was a Britsh conspiracy.
>>
>> Stefan
>

> Oh, no Stefan!  If you keep a man's hands busy holding his skirts
> down, he canna hold a claymore, can he!
>
> 'Lainie
> -think I'll go down to the Rock and set a spell... ;-)

Actually, the English, during the reign of Queen Victoria, revived the
use of the kilt, and it was at this time that certain tartan designs
were assigned/chosen by specific clans.  Some tartans, as I understand
it, traditionally already were used by clans, but many were pretty much
designed by weavers in England and assigned to the clans.  I suspect
that this is also the time when the short kilt came into use.  This was
all due to the attachment that Victoria had to "things Scottish"...she
seemed to love visiting Scotland, and even purchase Balmoral Castle,
which remains, to this day, the Scottish home of the Royal family.

One of the major exceptions to this is the Black Watch, used by the
Black Watch regiment...the name being chosen because these were the
troops that were chosen to "watch" the Scots to make sure none of the
restrictions on them were violated.

And yes, you're probably wondering how a Japanese lady knows "stuff"
about Scotland...in the modern world.   I am a life member of Clan
Morrison, from my father's grandmother.

Kiri