[Sca-cooks] Re: OT- KIlts at war

Brett McNamara brettmc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 08:55:57 PDT 2004

Considering the lengths the British or I guess more precisely, the
English, went to to suppress the kilt, I seriously doubt the short
variant was a Britsh conspiracy.

Ok, first off, if you're not English but come from a culture that
dealt with them historically, pretty much everything can be seen as a
British conspiracy.  Ugly Imperial politics aside, the comment was
meant to be tongue and cheek.

Now, "lengths the British...went to to suppress the kilt"?!?  The odd
animal that is the modern kilt can be well documented to Thomas
Rawlinson, an Englishman(!), around about 1725.  This is somewhat
debatable, because the "feileadh beag" can be documented slightly
earlier than that.  However, this limey was the most likely progenitor
of the modern version.

Any kilt suppression can be attributed to after the Jacobite Rising of
1745.  But, that was really more of a Scottish suppression.  The "Act
for the Abolition and Proscription of Highland Dress" (1747)  was
later repealed in 1782.  It's worth noting that the English have a
history of Draconian fashion sense, like Henry VIII's prohibition on
saffron shirts in Ireland.