[Sca-cooks] Re: OT- KIlts at war

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Mon Sep 20 19:40:19 PDT 2004

Ok since the topic came up this is my true kilt story from long ago and far
away.

Daniel

 It is my memory that once many years ago there was held in Ansteorra a
wintry event called Ice Axe.  Of the people in attendance there was one lad
of eighteen or so, new to the Society, who had it in his mind to be a Scot
and to wear the kilt.   Well this lad must have been a bit short of funds
because the kilt was wee one and rather short, a mini kilt as it were.
Did I say it was a wintry event?   Well it was and blustery too.  The wind
gusted strong enough to occasionally blow up the lad's kilt and show the
world that he was indeed wearing it regimental.  After a while it came to be
the consensus that it seemed to appear as if a little elephant was waving
his trunk at the world.   Although I do not think that he has ever worn a
kilt again, to this day certain of the wags of the kingdom will on occasion
whisper in some sweet young lass's ear a secret suggestion upon hearing
which they will invariably go up to him and say "why do they call you Babar"
.  It is said that to this day he still blushes.