[Sca-cooks] Chestnuts Chestnuts Everywhere

R J chaingangorg at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 19:36:06 PDT 2004

Congrats on the new home!

 I would like to request that you contact your local
agricultural co-op extension, there is one in every
county.
 The reason I mention this is that there are edible
chestnuts, and some that arent meant to be food. The
ag-extension people ought to be able to help you
verify whether yours are "food" or not.

 If they are food, I rather like to use a fake
fingernail from a halloween store to help me pick the
annoying fuzz off.
 They can be canned or frozen, whole, in chunks, or
even in a meal.

 Of course, they are also reputed to be pretty dang
good pig food, so you can always look for pork recipes
instead!

All the best,
 AEsa
--- Barbara Benson <voxeight at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> We have moved into a new home that we love very much
> and we keep
> learning things to love about the property. I am now
> the proud owner
> of 2 very large chestnut trees. And I have more
> chestnuts than I could
> even care to harvest.
>
> Being that chestnuts when purchased are very
> expensive I thought I
> would at least try to do something with this literal
> windfall. I know
> that they are a period nut and I have found some
> interesting info in
> the Florithingie - albeit some of it quite dated.
>
> So, if anyone has any interesting, period references
> to chestnuts to
> share I would love to accumulate some recipes (read:
> as many as
> possible). From all different time periods and
> cultures.
>
> I do not know if it is worth the shipping charges,
> but should anyone
> want some.....
>
> Glad Tidings,
>
> --Serena da Riva

=====
Thanks,
    RJ

(This signature in no way implies any agreement, legal, binding, or otherwise. It is strictly a courtesy, not a contract.)