[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 16, Issue 63

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Wed Sep 22 10:44:03 PDT 2004

On Sep 22, 2004, at 1:18 PM, Martha Oser wrote:

>> Considering that drop dumplings use baking powder (ca 1800?) for
>> leavening, I'd say that they're pretty much not period. You might
>> find a recipe with bread dough being dropped into a boiling soup, but
>> I haven't come across such a recipe yet. - Doc
>
> Hmm, well they don't necessarily have to be drop dumplings, do they?
> My grandmother used to make cream of wheat-based dumplings to put in
> chicken noodle soup and I don't think they had any leavening in them.
> Too bad she's dead or I'd ask her how she did them...

He'd specifically asked about drop dumplings (which are the proper kind
  ;-)  ).

Other forms of "Chicken & Dumplings" are more likely, such as those
which are essentially really thick pieces of noodle in a thick chicken
stew.

Cream of Wheat contains calcium carbonate.  Is that a leavening agent,
or is it there to prevent caking or somesuch?

 From http://www.kraftfoods.com

CREAM OF WHEAT® Dumplings

3/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Cereal (1-minute, 2-1/2 minute or 10-minute cook
time), uncooked
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. margarine or butter
1/2 tsp. parsley flakes
hot soup or stew

MIX milk and salt in medium saucepan. Bring to boil on medium-high
heat. Gradually add cereal, stiring constantly until well blended.
Reduce heat to medium; cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat.

ADD egg, margarine and parsley; mix well.

DROP 10 spoonsful of dough into large pot of simmering soup or stew;
cover. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until dumplings have doubled in size and
are cooked through.

Note: To ensure light and fluffy dumplings, leave the pan covered until
the cooking time is almost complete. Checking them too early can cause
them to deflate.

Ingredients: WHEAT FARINA, WHEAT GERM. VITAMINS & MINERALS: CALCIUM
CARBONATE, FERRIC PHOSPHATE (SOURCE OF IRON), NIACIN, THIAMIN
MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID.

- Doc

--
  Edouard Halidai  (Daniel Myers)