[Sca-cooks] re:dumplings

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Sep 22 10:59:38 PDT 2004

At 10:42 AM 9/22/2004, you wrote:
>  I am looking in a book I am reading now and the first RECORDED recipe in
> a recipe book is from 1653. The dumplings were made of flour, pepper,
> salt, yeast and water, made into tiny manchets and boiled in water for an
> hour. These were served buttered. Earlier dumplings it says would have
> been cooked in a broth in the stew pot.
>~Amanda~

My Mennonite grandmother used to make something she called 'rivels', which
were kind of mini-dumplings- basically a dough of flour, milk, and egg, cut
into little pieces with a fork- about the size of peas, of cherry pits. She
especially put them into chicken soup. I liked them ok- but I never cared
for regular dumplings, which were basically lumps of undercooked dough to
me. Bleah.

Maybe when the weather cools off a bit I'll give them a try.

'Lainie
-it's still clear and low-70s here. Enjoy it while you can, left-coasters!